Self care is always important but even more so right now as we enter another week of quarantine. A couple of weeks ago, I made a list of self care ideas for myself for those times when I was feeling down and needed a pick-me-up. The list is a quick reminder of all of the things that I can do to make me feel better. Some of the items on the list can be done quickly, others take time. I have managed to do most of them over the past several weeks. Some of them several times. I thought others might be interest in my list so I decided to share it here. This is my list of self care ideas, primarily for women.
Note: the Amazon links below are affiliate links.
15 Self Care Ideas for Women
- Face and Hair Masks – I suppose this is a cliche self care idea for women but I love how my hair and skin feel after doing masks. My favorite hair mask is the Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair Deep Conditioning Mask. A few of the face masks I recommend include this clay mask from Loreal, this peel off mask from Boscia (is there anything more satisfying than a peel off mask?) and the Jet Lag mask from Summer Fridays.
- Read a book – E-books are great but even better, pick up a paper book. I love the smell of books. As an added bonus, there are no notification distractions like there can be when reading a book on a tablet or phone. If you are looking for a good book to read, you can check out three of my recent book recommendations in this post.
- Log off of social media – The news today is mostly negative. Looking at other people’s curated lives on social media can make me feel less than satisfied with my own life sometimes. I have a bad habit of instantly opening up Facebook, Instagram or Twitter when I am bored. I don’t even think about it sometimes. When I log out of the apps, it stops me in my tracks and reminds me that I need to go do something else.
- Go for a walk outside – Being outside in the fresh air always helps clear my mind and the movement is great for my body too.
- Jot down your thoughts in a journal.
- Schedule a Facetime or Zoom chat with friends or family.
- Order take out – Cooking can be comforting but ordering takeout and opening your favorite bottle of wine to pair with it can be a special treat and the perfect way to relax and unwind.
- Turn on your favorite song, crank up the volume and have a dance party in your bedroom. My guilty pleasure song of late is “Only Human” by the Jonas Brothers.
- Do yoga – One of my favorite yoga channels is Yoga With Adrienne on YouTube. She has classes for all skill levels so you should be able to find something right for you.
- Make a list of things you are grateful for.
- Do a crossword puzzle – The daily mini puzzle from the New York Times is my jam. I look forward to trying to complete it in less than 30 seconds every evening!
- Watch a funny show or video
- Start planning a future trip – If you are looking for some inspiration,I have a lot of ideas saved on Pinterest.
- Take a bath
- Snuggle with a dog – The fluffier the pup, the better.
Do you have any other self care ideas for women that you think I should add to this list? If so, tell me in the comments below!