Well, here we are. I am in the middle of week three of sheltering in place and working from home with no end in sight. This means it has been about three weeks since I have had more than brief interactions with an actual human. So how’s it going? It is going okay for the most part. I have always dreaded the idea of working from home. I thought it was be awful. While it is still not my preference, it is not as bad as I feared it would be.
I have been keeping busy working most days as usual. I have also found lots of things to keep me occupied during the evenings as well. For those struggling to find things to keep them busy, here is a list of 20 things I have been doing to pass the time. They are things you can also do when you are bored and home alone.
20 Things to do When You’re Bored and Home Alone
- Read a Book – Who else has a stack of books on their bedside table that need to be read? I have lots of them and several have been there for a long time. This is the perfect time to actually read them. A few of my other favorites include Suzanne Brockmann’s Troubleshooters series (starring Navy Seals, lots of drama and romance), Water for Elephants, My Sister’s Keeper and The Book Thief.
- Put together a jigsaw puzzle – I bought a few new puzzles a few years ago but only put one or two of them together. It turns out that I don’t have the patience for puzzles. But, I have lots of time now so I am making it a goal to put all of the unopened ones together by the time I go back to working in the office. Wish me luck!
- Go for a walk – There is nothing better than exercise and fresh air.
- Play with your pet – Or take it along with you on your walk! If there is one good thing to come from quarantine, it is how happy it is making my pup.
- Learn a new skill or improve upon the skills you already have – As someone who loves to learn new things, this one is really exciting to me! Now to decide which skill I want to learn most (photography and coding come to mind first)!
- Start a blog! – This one will take time and thought so it is a great thing to do when you’re bored.
- Bake – This is both good and bad. I like to bake but I am the only one here to eat the end result so I have been avoiding it. But I think banana bread may be on the list for this weekend.
- Clean – Find those places that seldom get cleaned and start there. Under your bed, the baseboards and the windows and places that instantly come to mind for me.
- Start (and finish!) all of those home improvement projects you’ve been putting off. If you own a home, you undoubtedly have a list of home projects you have been wanting to tackle. Now is the perfect time!
- Workout – There are so many free workout options online. A few of my favorites include Sydney Cummings, MadFit and Yoga With Adriene. My good friend and yogi Erin has also been offering free classes on her Instagram. You can check her out here.
- Watch Netflix/YouTube/etc – My goal is to binge Season 2 of Big Little Lies.
- Paint your nails – I know it is more fun (and usually more precise) to have them done at a salon but since that isn’t possible right now, find one of your favorite colors from your collection and paint your own nails.
- Facetime/Zoom friends or family – You can amp it up by making it a virtual happy hour! BYOB!
- Go through your social media accounts. Unfollow accounts that you are no longer interested in.- It has been a while since I have done this and it is overdue. I always feel better when my social media accounts (particularly my Instagram account) are curated.
- Create a happy list! – Write down things that make you happy. I have so many things that make me smile and that I am grateful for. Writing them down and reading through them instantly makes me feel better.
- Craft – Dust off those long forgotten crafts you had good intentions of completing in the past but didn’t and finish them now.
- Do laundry – Not a fun one but a necessary one and not such a bad task when you’re looking for things to do when you’re bored. It is interesting to see how my laundry has changed over the past couple of weeks. Instead of washing dresses and tights like I do when I am working in the office, I am washing mostly yoga pants and socks.
- Organize your closet and put together a donation pile. – I used to stay on top of this because a good friend owned a consignment store. Since she is out of that business now, I am not nearly as good about going through my clothes and getting rid of the things I no longer wear. This would be a great task for me this weekend.
- Plan a vacation – One of my favorite things to do. Plan a trip to take for when it is safe for everyone to travel. Dream big!
- Write postcards to save Democracy – I have been writing postcards to voters for several years now and there are campaigns going on even through this quarantine period. I encourage you to check the organization out here if your interested in getting involved!
There is my list of things to do when you’re bored and home alone. How many of these items have you done while at home sheltering in place? Let me know in the comments below. Do you have any ideas for things I should add? Let me know those in the comments below as well.